Fundraising Countdown

The support and fundraising that has happened on my behalf has touched my heart and has made alternative cancer treatment a possibility for me. Donations continue to be my primary funding for healthy food, supplements, living expenses and medical bills. If you feel moved to give to my Health and Wellness Fund, please follow the Paypal "Donate" button below. To avoid Paypal's 3% fee, checks or cash can be sent to Zachariah Walker, 1003 Chipeta Ave, Grand Junction, CO 81501. Blessings!

*CRITICAL ANGELES HOSPITAL VISIT: CURRENT ESTIMATED COST = $25,000. AHHH! PLUS UNEXPECTED CRISIS CONTROL AND 4 DAYS IN ICU*

Donate to Zachariah's Health & Wellness Fund

Thursday, October 23, 2008

My 33rd Birthday








According to the sign, which was kindly duplicated in English, the Notre Dame de Pepiole is probably Europe’s oldest known chapel.  The monastic construction dates back to the 5th century and the most modern sections were added in the 12th century.  The medieval stone and mortar construction of the buildings and the groves of olive trees make it a most quaint retreat.  I spent most of this day lounging in the sun and napping as Florence ran errands.  In the evening I celebrated my 33rd birthday by doing 33 sun-salutations before Flo whisked me off to a party in my honor.  A dozen of her closest people were gathered to sing joyeux anniversaire (happy birthday) and celebrate with a meal of Raclette (ham, potatoes, and cheese specially melted on special cheese melting machines).  The elevated view from the house of the bay, boats (including military carriers), and city lights was brilliant.  I also met Flo’s other sister Natalie who spoke great English and entertained me with conversation for part of the night.  I was truly touched by the efforts Flo put into making the occasion happen and the willingness of people to gather for a stranger’s birthday.  Another year younger celebrated in a memorable fashion.  And my 33rd a significant one.  The age of the Christ as I was told numerous times...       

Perspective:  It is a most humbling feeling to drop into a foreign land with no ability to comprehend or communicate.  There is a mysterious loneliness that goes with hours of listening to others jabber, laugh, and banter without much clue as to what is being said.  Sitting with another person in awkward silence because neither knows how or what to say.  Walking the streets and debating how to acquire necessities brings out insecurities not felt since adolescence.  These feelings, and I’m far from traveling independently.  Of course, there is a whole other level of communication that is challenging with the barriers of language that exist with my English-speaking guide.  There are moments where complete independence is the desire despite the insecurities.  That’s my reality though, this adventure that I’ve taken on.  Travel is a multi-dimensional experience; time reveals circumstances and an inevitable examination of self, perspectives change.  Here I AM, Here I go…  

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, I completely understand the communication block and the feeling of loneliness that comes with it. Doesn't it make you feel sooo small in such a big world. We really are trapped in a bubble, in the "backcountry" of the USA. I am so happy for you for living life, not trying to understand life.

Beth said...

Wow, thank you for sharing Zacharian. A blog. Oh you are now a man of the blog world. Congratulations. Sounds like ventures full of adventure...I can't imagine the various perspectives you are gaining. Being in a different culture, being an outsider, unable to speak the language and communicate, being welcomed into people's (stranger's) lives. It is something we should all experience and have our eyes opened to. Wishing you -much- during the rest of your journey. Love and Peace.

ToddR said...

Happy belated Birthday my friend Zacharia!! Much love from the far N.W of the USA where a couple of your soul family reside. Monica and I are happy here in our new home and our new adventure. Japa says woof! We wish your journeys to be profound and magical. Ah, yes the universal language is music, so spread Franti to the world
Blessings to you and peace!

Jill Lawson said...

where ever you "end up" i hope the good end is up

SK said...

Happy birthday you old ass m-fer! Sounds like you're having a great time. I'll keep checking in...Peace out from Sea-town.